Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mind & Matter

Thinkers, both eastern and western, have long argued about which one is supreme---mind or matter. The proponents on either side of the debate have passionately argued their case with analytical and speculative arguments. Still the ‘matter’ is far from being resolved.

Sir Bernard Williams, late English philosopher, argues that “we identify more closely with our bodies than our minds”. To test our intuitions about the self, he says, let’s assume an imaginary scenario. We are at the mercy of a mad scientist who has planned to give us intense physical torture the next day. In a moment of generosity, the scientist gives us the option of wiping our memories and replaces it with those of Napoleon. If memory is the seat of self, then we would have nothing to fear for the next day’s torture. However, how many of us would really buy this argument? It is crystal clear to us that despite memory-replacement experiment, we would still suffer from the pain inflicted by the scientist.

Take another example. We have all seen the famous ‘transporter’ machines in Star Trek, which supposedly take a person apart atom by atom and create him/her anew in a different place. But if such a machine is possible then it means that our memories survive bodily disintegration, which amounts to death. Is it not a scientific validation of transmigration of soul?

Now, it’s another thing that many of us who oppose euthanasia (calling it a form of suicide) are in a way condoning it by approving of the Star Trek’s concept of ‘transportation’. A far-fetched logic, but cannot be overlooked.

3 comments:

Tanmoy said...

"Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Aruneganesh said...

Mind or Body, which comes first ? To me it is the body .... hee hee for obvious reasons...

Gaurav said...

Here below is Mani's comment to my posting which he sent to me through mail.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Tell me how much should a Philosopher be relied on? You bank on a Philosopher to vouch for your thoughts..how and why? How much would he know about you? Please do bear in mind..a philosopher is only a philosopher because you term him so..and for him to be termed so he has to say all this! A vicious circle..i hope to see you get farther than quoting these buggers. If you had to quote them..merely then your blog would be a google. Say what you feel coz you feel so..not because someone has said so or just because it coincides. I believe that should be the objective of this whole blog. Stop quoting others..start making your quotes. Let people get to the level that "...blah blah like Gaurav a.k.a OF HUMAN BONDAGE said so.."! Amen
#########################################################################################################################################################################

My Reply:--
Dear Mani

I like your criticism. But you are a bit wrong in your assumption that I merely quote others. Whatever I write or say is only after mulling over what someone has said. It’s only when I have wrestled enough the idea, and I find it convincing that I try to put it in my words. So, what you read on my blog or hear from me during my conversation is not a rehash of others’ thoughts but something that has underwent fermentation in my mind.

Since I’m not the kind who tries to either impress others with his erudition or, even worse, is a plagiarist, hence my quoting of the source.

Again I’m too insignificant to be quoted by others. I don’t harbour such delusions of self-glorification. All I crave for is understanding and acceptance. Very human want!

Philosophers never demand someone to rely on their observations. They only challenge widely accepted assumptions. Philosophers, like scientists, don’t force someone to believe in their theories; it’s something else that their hypothesis form the basis of natural phenomenon and human behaviour.

For me life is an exploration. Philosophy and thinkers of various hues and leanings serve only as guideposts. Nothing more, nothing less!

Cheers!

Gaurav