Friday, April 21, 2006

What is Success

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better,
Whether by a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition,
To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.

The above definition of success by the immortal American philosopher, Emerson, has left an indelible impression on my mind. I would be happy if at the sunset of my life I would have come somewhere near his definition.

The way we describe success has undergone tremendous change in the past few years. I've no grudge against the present yardsticks about success and failure, materialistic and ephemeral as they turn out to be, but I do not subscribe to them. That's it.

This blog is an attempt on my part to reach out to like-minded people. Those who believe in the simplicity of conduct despite complexity of thoughts. Those who acknowledge the supremacy of spirit over matter. Those who do not feel circumscribed by 'the human bondage' of their earthly existence but do feel the palpable undercurrents of love in various relationships. Those who know that a meaningful existence is not possible in vacuum but in relation to those around us.

4 comments:

Mann Sahib said...

"I do not confer praise or blame: I accept. I am the measure of all things. I am the centre of the world."
- W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915

Heavy stuff your blog is, but I like the name. One of my favourite books.

Aruneganesh said...

As Sheru said, the name of your blog says it all.

One more activity added to my TO DO list. Check Tau's blogs.

Expecting a lot from this !

AK said...

Thought provoking. Isn't it surprising that both of us were thinking about pretty much the same topic? :)

I was thinking about 'successful leadership' last night and penned a few thoughts on my blog.

Expect a lot more of similar thought provoking postings. Keep up the good work sir!

Sandeep said...

Sir...just a suggestion...maybe we should have a link to dictionary.com along with your blog....very necesary.

But seriously...your blog is "food for thought"